QUEEN ELIZABETH CHAPEL

QUEEN ELIZABETH CHAPEL

According to Tulio Espanca, in this location there was an oratory built in 1659 by D. Luisa de Gusmão, widow of D. João IV (r. 1640-1656), in gratitude to the Portuguese side´s victory in the Battle of the ”Linhas de Elvas”.

In 1680, during the reign of D. Pedro II (r. 1675-1706) and by his own initiative, the works were made by Father Francisco Tinoco da Silva, which benefited greatly the temple. Inevitably, 18 years later in 1698, after the explosion of the powder magazine of the castle, new works were necessary, although according to a tale of these times, this chapel was not badly damaged, which was understood as a miracle of the “Rainha Santa”.The tile panels and oil paintings, both clearly Johannine, are attributable to Teotónio dos Santos (around 1725), according to Jose Meco, the first, and to André Gonçalves (1730), according to Maria de Lourdes Cidraes, these last. Both are representative of life and the imaginary legend of Queen St. Isabel, particularly of the miracles attributed to her, and that led to his canonization in 1625 by Pope Urbano VIII. The lush chorus built in white marble exhibits a Latin inscription of 1808, in gratitude to St. Elizabeth by the people of Estremoz for having them protected from the ravages resulting from the French Invasions.

Address: Largo D. Dinis, 7100 Estremoz
Town: Estremoz
Country: Portugal
icon

Share

Google Play QR

Google Play QR

App Store QR

App Store QR