CHURCH OF SANTA MARÍA

CHURCH OF SANTA MARÍA

Although the works of this temple began in 1560 thanks to the patronage of the Archbishop of Évora, the Cardinal Infante D. Henrique (future King of Portugal between 1578 and 1580), and King D. Sebastião (r. 1557-1578), the works ends in the early seventeenth century.

His foreman, master builder and principal entrepreneur was Pero Gomes, between 1559 and 1562, as it is unknown any additional documentary reference relative to other builders. However, its existence has been documented since the second half of the thirteenth century in a ”Cantiga de Alfonso X el Sabio” (r. 1252-1284), King of Castile and Leon, which refers to a church and a supposed miracle that happened on it by the grace of Santa Maria. He had a great restoration work in 1969 and 1970, and has recently been restored a wall painting of the central part.Predominantly Mannerist style, with a façade in style ”chão” and with typically Mannerist elements, its symmetry based on perfect geometric shapes configures its main stroke. Its width is equal to the length plus height, and the 7 meters we find are due to a subsequent expansion of the chapel. All elements are mathematically related to each other, making the church almost a compendium of geometry (eg, the width of each section is exactly one third of the width of the church, the length of the sacristy is exactly one quarter of the run length). According to Manuel Branco and Maria João of the DGEMN, ”(...) the voluntary debug of all the whole project (...) has its maximum expression in the absence of pediment, towers and pinnacles”.

Address: Largo D. Dinis, 7100 Estremoz
Town: Estremoz
Country: Portugal
icon

Share

Google Play QR

Google Play QR

App Store QR

App Store QR