CONGREGADOS CONVENT (CONVENTO DOS CONGREGADOS)

CONGREGADOS CONVENT (CONVENTO DOS CONGREGADOS)

The Convent of ”Nossa Senhora da Conceição dos Congregados do Oratório of São Filipe Nery of Estremoz” was sent to construct in 1697 by D. Pedro II (r. 1675-1706). Between 1698 and 1700, the works began, and in 1703 began the second campaign, already with the church started. In the mid-eighteenth century are added the tile panels that are all over the convent.

The church was never finished until 1961, when the construction of the rest of the façaade began, and was completed in 1967. In 1974 the vault of the chapel is closed. After a few years without function, the church, which was owned by the City Council, was transferred to the parish of ”Saint André”, and the whole church was opened in 1995, almost three centuries after its inception.The façade of the church, strange and different element, brought a novelty to the ”monotony” of Alentejan architecture: the main elevation ”swimming”. According to the Italian architectural aesthetics of the eighteenth century linked to Francesco Borromini (b. 1599-1667), this dynamic effect appears as opposition to the classic view Renaissance and Mannerist, more aesthetic and stable.Dedicated to the Life and Miracles of ”São Filipe Nery”, the set of tiles belongs to the Home Mayor, and is one of the most interesting in conjunction with the stairway which shows the costumes of various social classes in the temple of D. João V (r. 1707-1750), with patterns of hunting and war. The whole room of the Antechoir shows episodes of the Gospels and the lives of several saints. These panels dating back to 1748 and are attributed to the office of Oliveira Bernardes.

Address: Rossio Marquês de Pombal, 7100 Estremoz
Town: Estremoz
Country: Portugal

Share

Google Play QR

Google Play QR

App Store QR

App Store QR